Tall Trees Tour
Our signature Tall Trees Tour takes you into the world’s highest ranked world heritage area, the Tasmania Wilderness World Heritage Area. We visit on the Tall Trees Tour the Styx Forest behind Hawthorn Lodge.
David will show how seven out of ten world heritage criteria have been met on the Tall Trees Tour:
- an exceptional testimony to a cultural tradition an outstanding example of a landscape which illustrates significant stage in human history
- directly associated with artistic works of outstanding universal significance
- contains exceptional natural beauty and aesthetic importance
- an outstanding example of earth’s history
- an outstanding example of biological processes and communities of plants and animals
- contains the most important and significant natural habitats of biological diversity
We drive from Hawthorn Lodge in our 4WD climbing up into the Styx forest behind Hawthorn Lodge heading off road into the Tasmania Wilderness World Heritage Area. We will see the giant eucalypts the tallest hard wood trees in the world, close to 100 metres. Viewing platforms in the forest make it easy to see the top.
The Tall Trees Tour is totally on unsealed forest roads takes in a range of landscapes, rivers, caves and views with many opportunities to take photos.
The tour is led by David Hearle an expert on Tasmania.
The tour departs from Hawthorn Lodge in Bushy Park at 9am and returns at 12.30. A transfer can be arranged from Hobart. Weather is unpredictable, rain is possible so do bring warm clothing and rain gear. Short walking on forest tracks is needed so wear suitable foot wear.
Tallest Trees in the World tour
|The tour departs from Hawthorn Lodge at 9am and returns at 12.30.|
|Number in party||$ Per Person||$ Total|
|A transfer can be arranged from Hobart and a free pick up in New Norfolk.|